New Year is the time of re-aligning your life plans – whether it’s about your career or your personal relationships. More often than not, it’s the career part that we fine tune during this season. We check what we have accomplished in the previous year – some inspirational, some aren’t. To boost positivism to the New Year, here are some tips to boost our willpower.
1. Focus on what's important. In the previous articles, I have mentioned about focus and why it's important. Here, focus is also critical when dealing with fear. Given the vision you have, trim down the activities that you cannot control, instead work on your way to efforts that can be controlled and can be translated into results. In that way, you will realize fear can be your buddy too!
2. Positivity. List all the possible outcomes once you have achieved your goal. Ideally, the end-result of your goal should make you feel good inside and makes you happy. This is where your excitement and passion unfold. Stay away from unsupportive people to veer from negative energy.
3. Face your fears. We never lose sight of failure whenever we face untested waters. Instead, use the experience to equip you to think harder and better. If you feel the need to learn to fill some gaps (i.e. skill), then set some time to learn something new or read some articles that contain topics that you think will help your business. Also, when you learn to face your fears, you create calculated risk to combat different market forces that affect your business. In this way you will be able to keep up with the competition and better yet stand out. When you learn to face your fears, you will eventually learn how to control them.
4. A Vision Board. Collect images from magazines or from online sources like Pinterest that will represent the outputs from achieving your goal. This is a good method for people who are visual learners too. For instance, if you would like to go to Paris during summer break, you may want to collect a photo of the Eiffel Tower or the Champs Elysees. Browsing art is another great way to launch your vision to success!
5. Be Patient. Success doesn’t happen overnight. It takes a series of heart breaks, research, failure, realization, discovery and enlightenment. Each day as you review your set milestones, see if it equates to your desired results. Otherwise, fine tune and test it again. This way, you monitor your progress as you get closer to your goal.
Achieving our goals doesn’t need to be difficult to capture. Your techniques to reach them can be as flexible depending on what’s happening in the market. By identifying strong and weak points of your strategy to meet your goal will make a difference from success and failure.